[OSGeo-Announce] Quantum GIS 0.8.1 Released

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Jun 15 15:27:52 EDT 2007

It is our great pleasure to announce the immediate availability of Quantum GIS
(QGIS) Version 0.8.1. Quantum GIS (QGIS) is a user friendly Open Source
Geographic Information System (GIS) that runs on Linux, Unix, Mac OSX, and
Windows. QGIS supports vector, raster, and database formats. QGIS is licensed
under the GNU General Public License. QGIS lets you browse and create map data
on your computer. It supports many common spatial data formats (e.g. ESRI
ShapeFile, geotiff). QGIS supports plugins to do things like display tracks
from your GPS. QGIS is Open Source software and its free of cost (download
here). We welcome contributions from our user community in the form of code
contributions, bug fixes, bug reports, contributed documentation, advocacy and
supporting other users on our mailing lists and forums. Financial contributions
are also welcome. The release also includes numerous bug fixes and stability
improvements to the 0.8 code base. QGIS is available is source form, and will
be available as binary executables for Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, and
GNU/Linux. All versions can be obtained from our download page. If the version
for your platform is not available please check back in a day or two as some
packages are still being built. As an open source project, we provide support
for using QGIS via our mailing lists and bug tracker:

* For general enquiries subscribe to our users mailing list at
* For developer related enquiries subscribe to our separate developers list at
http://lists.qgis.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/qgis-developer
* If you think you have found a bug, please report it using our bug tracker.
When reporting bugs, please include some contact information in case we need
help with replicating your issue at https://svn.qgis.org/trac