[OSGeo-Announce] GeoTools 2.4.0 released

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Feb 11 14:20:33 EST 2008

The GeoTools 2.4.0 release is available for download:

      * http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOTOOLS/2.4.0

New for GeoTools 2.4:
- significant speedups in shapefile and postgis data rendering
    (and to a lesser measure to other vector data sources as well)
- many expressions improvements using converters to correctly handle a
range of queries
- style interfaces now use geoapi filter (no more casting!)
- redirect to an alternate logging api
- datastore dispose
- make use of java connection pools (DBCP and the like)
- use a registered java DataSource for epsg database in a Java EE
environment
- user guide; with a small section for 2.4.0
- iso geometry implementation available as a supported module
- community change proposal process has been adopted

For more information on these improvemets visit our web site:
- http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOTOOLS/2.4.x

Release Notes:
-
http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10270&styleName=Html&version=13062

The GeoTools project has seen a lot of growth over the development of
GeoTools 2.4. We have made several important changes to how the project
is managed:
- we have introduced "unsupported" modules; allowing early access to
community experiments (for a list of supported modules see
    http://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?release_id=574856)
- we have adopted a formal change proposal system

For more information please visit:

      * http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOTOOLS/Upgrade+to+2.4
      * http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOTOOLS
      * http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOTDOC