[OSGeo-Announce] New OSGeo President and Board Election Results

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Wed Sep 17 18:51:25 EDT 2008

The Open Source Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo) recently added two new
directors to its board and updated its officer positions, including a
new President.

New President

The OSGeo Board of Directors selected Arnulf Christl as its new
President. Mr. Christl brings years of experience in the geospatial
industry, including a strong perspective on the use of free and open
source software within a business context through his company
WhereGroup in Bonn, Germany. He has served on OSGeo's Board from its
inception and been involved in several aspects from Marketing to Web
management as well as in leading the Mapbender web mapping project.
He is committed to seeing OSGeo continue its global advocacy efforts
to help organizations continue to adopt free and open source
solutions across all domains.

He explains, "I'm pleased to be able to help in my new role as OSGeo
President. I have three main goals on my personal agenda. First,
further support for emerging local chapters, encouraging them to
develop meetings/conferences that complement our global FOSS4G
effort. Second, improve our support for businesses using and
supporting Open Source Geospatial software. Our organization is now
so strong and healthy that we need to tell the world about it in the
press and at conferences. Third, and most challenging, bridging the
extremes of proprietary businesses and thorough grassroots
volunteerism. If it is possible, then OSGeo is the organization
capable of bridging this gap."

New Treasurer

After two years in the position, Frank Warmerdam stepped down as
President to focus on others aspects of the organization and to make
space for new ideas and vision in the leadership role. He was chosen
as the new Treasurer of OSGeo, taking over from Dave McIlhagga who
held the position previously.

Mr. Warmerdam describes the change, "I really enjoyed being President
and am thrilled with the progress we've made. Arnulf's enthusiasm and
experience make him a ideal President. I have been interested in
helping more on the financial management side of the organisation, so
it's great to be able to do so in the official role as Treasurer."

As a leader of the GDAL/OGR Project, Mr. Warmerdam has been closely
tied to the finances of OSGeo, collecting over $30,000 (USD) in
sponsorships for that project. He will help to streamline financial
processes and oversee financial reporting, while working alongside
the current Finance Committee.

New Board

In July, 2008, elections for 4 (out of 9) Board of Director positions
were completed. The results saw two new directors join and two others
re-elected to previously expired positions. The new board consists of:

Robert (Bob) Bray (USA)
Howard Butler (USA) - New director
Arnulf Christl (Germany) - Re-elected
Ari Jolma (Finland) - New director
Markus Neteler (Italy)
Paul Ramsey (Canada)
Jeroen Ticheler (The Netherlands)
Jo Walsh (Spain)
Frank Warmerdam (Canada) - Re-elected

About the Open Source Geospatial Foundation

The Open Source Geospatial Foundation, or OSGeo, is a not-for-profit
organization whose mission is to support and promote the
collaborative development of open geospatial technologies and data.
The Foundation provides financial, organizational and legal support
to the broader open source geospatial community. It also serves as an
independent legal entity to which community members can contribute
code, funding and other resources, secure in the knowledge that their
contributions will be maintained for public benefit.

OSGeo also serves as an outreach and advocacy organization for the
open source geospatial community, and provides a common forum and
shared infrastructure for improving cross-project collaboration. The
Foundation's projects are all freely available and useable under an
OSI-certified open source license.
------
Contact: Tyler Mitchell, Executive Director, OSGeo Email:
tmitchell at osgeo.org