[OSGeo-Announce] PostGIS 2.0.0 Released

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Apr 3 17:29:20 EDT 2012

The PostGIS development team is super excited,
can hardly believe that they are actually doing this,
aren't maybe even sure that they are ready to make
this kind of commitment, not so young, and not when
we have so much more living to do, but:

PostGIS 2.0.0 is complete and available for download.

 http://postgis.org/download/postgis-2.0.0.tar.gz

The development process for 2.0 has been very long,
but has resulted in a release with a number of exciting
new features.

 * Raster data and raster/vector analysis in the database
 * Topological models to handle objects with shared boundaries
 * PostgreSQL typmod integration, for an automagical
  geometry_columns table
 * 3D and 4D indexing
 * Index-based high performance nearest-neighbour searching
 * Many more vector functions including
  * ST_Split
  * ST_Node
  * ST_MakeValid
  * ST_OffsetCurve
  * ST_ConcaveHull
  * ST_AsX3D
  * ST_GeomFromGeoJSON
  * ST_3DDistance
 * Integration with the PostgreSQL 9.1 extension system
 * Improved commandline shapefile loader/dumper
 * Multi-file import support in the shapefile GUI
 * Multi-table export support in the shapefile GUI
 * A geo-coder optimized for free US Census
  TIGER (2010) data

We are greatly indebted to our large community of beta testers
who valiantly tested PostGIS 2.0.0 and reported bugs so we could
squash them before release time.

And also we want to thank our parents for making PostGIS possible.

Yours,
The PostGIS development team