[OSGeo-Announce] Incubation Anouncements

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Oct 9 20:08:58 PDT 2012

The incubation committee is pleased to report that two projects have entered
incubation (and are already underway):

  * ZOO-Projec <http://www.zoo-project.org>t: A WPS (Web Processing Service)
    open source project released under a MIT/X-11 style license . It provides
    an OGC WPS compliant developer-friendly framework to create and chain WPS
    Web services. Frank Warmerdam will be acting as mentor for the project.
  * Opticks
    <http://opticks.org/confluence/display/opticks/Welcome+To+Opticks>:  Expandable
    remote sensing and imagery analysis software platform. Mark Lucas has
    volunteered as mentor for the project.

The board also confirmed
<http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Meeting_2012-06-07> that PostGIS
<http://postgis.refractions.net> has completed the Foundation's incubation
<http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/PostGIS_Incubation_Status> requirements
<http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/PostGIS_Provenance_Review> and has accepted Paul
Ramsey as "PostGIS Project Officer". Congratulations to the PostGIS project!

We have another two projects just entering incubation:

  * OGC Team Engine <http://teamengine.sourceforge.net>: The Test, Evaluation,
    And Measurement (TEAM) Engine is a test script interpreter. It executes
    test scripts written in Compliance Test Language (CTL) to verify that an
    implementation of a specification. Thanks to Justin DeOlivera for
    volunteering as mentor.
  * Marble Virtual Globe <http://edu.kde.org/marble/>: Marble is a Virtual
    Globe and World Atlas that you can use to learn more about Earth. Marble is
    also a light weight generic geographical map component for use in your own
    Qt 4.x / C++ application. Arnulf Christl will be mentoring the project.

There are additional projects ready to take part in the Foundation - but they
are missing a critical thing: You!

If you are in position to help out in the role of "mentor" and introduce new
projects to the OSGeo Foundation we would love to hear from you.