[OSGeo-Announce] OSGeo Foundation turns 10!

Jorge Sanz jsanz at osgeo.org
Wed Feb 3 08:43:23 PST 2016

4th of February is a great day for all of us as it was the day when
our Foundation was founded. 2016 is more special as we have completed
10 Years. No matter what yardstick one uses, it would be hard to deny
that we have made great progress and our achievements have been even
exceeded our own expectations. Our projects have grown more stable and
robust, our events have spread worldwide, our vibrant community
continues to grow, our education outreach is blooming through the
collective effervescence of the 'GeoForAll' initiative and we are in
possession of many more pieces of the jigsaw to help accomplish our
vision to  "empower everyone with open source geospatial".

We would not been able to get here without the tremendous support from
our community and goodwill of our sponsors. Officers of our Foundation
have also toiled hard to get us to this stage. By the time we are into
FOSS4G-2018, we will be in our teens. So let is now enjoy our
childhood and celebrate the wonders that we have achieved in being
born, being able to walk on our own feet, and ready to take long
strides into the future with a sure feeling that we can do even better
in the years to come.

Happy birthday to OSGeo Foundation and let the celebrations begin!!

The Board of Directors
OSGeo Foundation

*About the Open Source Geospatial Foundation:*

The Open Source Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo) is a not-for-profit
organization whose mission is to foster global adoption of open
geospatial technology by being an inclusive software foundation
devoted to an open philosophy and participatory community driven
development. The foundation provides financial, organizational and
legal support to the broader open source geospatial community. It
provides an independent legal entity to which community members can
contribute code, funding and other resources, secure in the knowledge
that their contributions will be maintained for public benefit.

OSGeo also serves as an outreach and advocacy organization for the
open source geospatial community, and provides a common forum and
shared infrastructure for improving cross-project collaboration. The
Foundation's projects are all freely available and useable under an
OSI-certified open source license.