[OSGeo-Announce] OSGeo has been accepted as a mentoring organization in Google Code-in 2017!

Jorge Sanz jsanz at osgeo.org
Sat Oct 28 08:05:10 PDT 2017

Dear OSGeo community,

we're happy to announce that OSGeo has been ccepted as a mentoring
organization in Google Code-in 2017 [1]!

"Pre-university students ages 13 to 17 are invited to take part in
Google Code-in: Our global, online contest introducing teenagers to
the world of open source development. With a wide variety of
bite-sized tasks, it’s easy for beginners to jump in and get started
no matter what skills they have.

Mentors from our participating organizations lend a helping hand as
participants learn what it’s like to work on an open source project.
Participants get to work on real software and win prizes from t-shirts
to a trip to Google HQ!" [1]

It's to emphasize that OSGeo is one of the 6 new orgs accepted in this
contest as Google doesn't accept that many new orgs as in GSoC!

The GCI timeline can be ssen in [2]:

Thursday, October 26
Mentoring organizations announced

Tuesday, November 28 (17:00 UTC)
Contest opens for entries by student participants 2018

Monday, January 15 (17:00 UTC)
Deadline to claim new tasks

Wednesday, January 17 (17:00 UTC)
All student work must be submitted; contest ends

Thursday, January 18 (17:00 UTC)
Mentoring organizations complete all evaluations of students’ work

Wednesday, January 31
Grand Prize Winners and Finalists announced

Basic information regarding our application can be found under [3].

If interested to volunteer as GCI mentor, then check [4].

More information will come, stay tuned.

Kind regards
Helmut (on behalf of the GSoC/GCI admin team.

[1] https://codein.withgoogle.com/
[2] https://developers.google.com/open-source/gci/timeline
[3] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Google_Code_In_2017
[4] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Google_Code_In_2017_Mentors