[OSGeo-Announce] OSGeo Europe celebrates her first anniversary

Jorge Sanz jsanz at osgeo.org
Mon Jul 23 01:05:56 PDT 2018

FOSS4G Europe, code sprint Guimarães, Portugal, Europe, 21 July 2018

It is exactly one year ago, on the FOSS4G Europe conference in Marne La
Vallee, the European Local chapter was found. <Image founding team:
https://www.osgeo.org/wp-content/uploads/OSGeo-Europe-Found-21-July-2017.jpg

OSGeo Europe will focus to help the local European ecosystem with the
adoption of open source and lobbying to include the use of open source
software and promote the creation of open source software in all
European taxpayer funded projects. The created software should be
returned to the citizen, and OSGeo can help to control if this process
works well.

As one of the first successful initiatives the chapter organised some
activities to establish an INSPIRE version of the OSGeo Live environment.

Another important  initiative is the launch during this FOSS4G
conference of the OSGeo Europe eco system. Involved Industry partners,
universities and governmental departments are bundling forces to promote
open source on a collaborative booth. The first initiative is taken
place on the INSPIRE Conference and 5 partners where willing to tell
their story why they became involved in OSGeo on our common booth
<image: OSGeo European eco system:
https://www.osgeo.org/wp-content/uploads/A0_eco-system.png>

About the The European Local Chapter
------------------------------------
The OSGeo Europe local chapter was found exactly one year ago on the
FOSS4G Europe conference in Paris [Picture]. In the adagio to think
global, but act local, the European local chapter will focus to Europe’s
specific needs in terms adoption rate and promotion of open source software.
Some important initiatives we want to connect to are European programs
such as 'INSPIRE'[1], the COPERNICUS program[2], FiWare[3], and many
others needs specific localised attention.
OSGeo Europe is a sparring partner and representation (Single point of
contact) for the European institutions in Brussels on behalve OSGeo, the
other committees, local chapters and projects. You can reach the local
chapter by sending a mail to Europe at osgeo.org

About the Open Source Geospatial Foundation
The Open Source Geospatial Foundation advocates the use of Open Source
to better serve our field. We also have many members who are also
passionate about the importance of the Free and Open approach to more
fairly leverage the wealth of geospatial information available today.
OSGeo is pleased to be at the forefront of the shift towards open
geospatial:
Open Data applies the principles of free and open to geospatial data.
This is more than publishing information for free access – open data
provides a mechanism for participants to contribute change back as equal
partners in data collection and review.
Open Education applies the principles of open source to the creation of
teaching materials allowing organizations to share syllabus materials
reducing cost and reaching a wider audience.
Open Science combines these ideas to better realize research objectives,
by both sharing the data used to support a conclusion, alongside the
open source software used for analysis.
Open Standards promote interoperability between applications,
organizations and fields of endeavour. Open standard are a key tool
allowing geospatial practitioners to work together, with the added
benefit of avoiding technology lock-in.
Together these approaches define a new way of addressing the world’s
needs. OSGeo is pleased to celebrate our members, partners and friends
shaping this future!

[1] https://inspire.ec.europa.eu/
[2] http://www.copernicus.eu/
[3] https://www.fiware.org/