[AtlanticCanada] Introductions...

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Mon Jun 28 12:00:59 EDT 2010

Hello,

I wish to welcome everyone to the mailing list for discussions of the
Atlantic Canada local chapter of OSGeo (the Open Source Geospatial
Foundation).  The goal of our chapter is to promote the use of Open
Source geospatial software and data at the local level here in Atlantic
Canada - in private industry, academic, and the public sector.

I notice that there are currently 7 people registered to the mailing
list - great, it's definitely a start.

Since I have not met anyone on this list face-to-face yet, I'll just
give a little background on myself.  I have been active in the MapServer
community for over 10 years, and I am on the MapServer Project Steering
Committee.  Last year I was also named to the Board of Directors of
OSGeo, which is quite an honour.  I was also one of the initial chairs
of the Ottawa local chapter of OSGeo.  Oh I am also the chair of the
OSGeo conference committee.

If you wish to introduce yourself briefly to others on this email list
please do so.

I wish to thank Adam Hartling for writing a blog entry on our chapter
(http://acoss.wordpress.com/2010/06/26/atlantic-canada-open-source-geospatial-foundation-chapter-created/),
and I'd ask for everyone else to spread the word about our chapter
through their own channels (blogs, tweets, mailing lists, friends,
colleagues).

We can use this email list to plan for our initial meeting (there has
been some talk about having the initial meeting in NB), and also please
forward any related emails or news items to this email list - in other
words let's use this email list for anything to do with Open software
and Open data.  Let's get talking!!

Thanks everyone.

-jeff

--