[AtlanticCanada] Introduction

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 09:16:56 EST 2011

FYI,
Just an observation.

On the talk-ca mailing list, where i have attended and creating osm -
'mapping parties', i have noticed where the difference is from an
osgeo 'informal meeting'

The OSGeo Community (all things geo-related) is a much more
professional group.  The group members tend to be professional gis
people (in their day jobs).

Where-as, for OSM, there is a tendency (or at least in the begining)
for it to be 'weekend hobbiests, and geocaching, and maaping
inthusiasts'

So there is a contrast, which is known, but perhaps not apparent,
especially when writing notes to each mailing list.

Just an observation.  If OpenStreetMap Canada wants to become
osgeo-canada .... this is where the data licence conflicts.

I can freely talk about 'commonmap and open map features, and
alternate api's at a osgeo-canada meetup, but that discussion is
'shunned' on the osm-ca mailing list and meetups.

Just an observation,

cheers,
sam

--