[Aust-NZ] FOSS4G Day 3

Chris Tweedie chris at narx.net
Thu Sep 27 08:07:31 EDT 2007

Thanks for the updates Brian. I do not agree with the comment about
Australia missing out on the opensource GIS / concepts. In my experience we
are very much at the front of the pack, but for some reason we often shy
away from the spotlight and lurk in the community instead. This is my hope
that OSGEO-Au will bring a lot of these people (you know who you are) out
from the shadows. Its not just individuals either, a lot of corporate types
are actively using OSGEO projects but for whatever reason, don't advertise
this very much.

Attendance comes down to cost and distance ... Canada is just as prohibitive
as Switzerland in this respect, times by about 100 for Government approval
for international travel. South Africa i have already pencil'ed in and
fingers crossed that our Sydney bid gets across the line so we can get more
people in attendance for future conferences.

Keep updates flowing !

Chris Tweedie