[Aust-NZ] Portable geospatial file formats (was: Live CDs for the FOSS4G conference and DebianGIS)

Chris Tweedie chris at narx.net
Fri Apr 18 01:20:40 EDT 2008

Completely agree on the SQLite front however the lack of a robust spatial
indexing scheme really puts a downer on an otherwise awesome solution.

If you were a delegate at FOSS4G, performance should always reign supreme
even if it comes at the expense of truncated DBF columns and limited
datatypes (eg. Shp). That said, i wouldn't be surprised if the spatial
indexing comes in very, very soon so i'm all for it. I have used sqlite many
times in the past mainly for portability ... the missing link would be out
the box support for it in desktop apps. Although again, critical mass seems
to be almost here.

Chris