[Aust-NZ] Re: Strategic Investment in Geonetwork Open Source (draft paper)

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 19:45:02 EDT 2008

Comments inline.

Bruce.Bannerman at dpi.vic.gov.au wrote:
> Cameron,
>
> _On your draft paper_
>
> I've only had a quick read through at this stage. My initial reation
> is that this is an excellent start. You have put together some very
> valuable information.
>
> Perhaps we could put this into a wiki to allow other members of the
> community to help develop it further.
Yes, good idea. I planned originally to use a wiki but migrated to word
as I find it easier to write in and collate reviews. Once the document
has stablized and when I next have a spare few hours I'll move it across
(in a week or 2).

> Some initial thoughts:
>
> - We should be careful that this work is seen as OSGeo-AustNZ
> providing advice and assistance to ANZLIC, and
>   not trying to take over the project.

>   This is ANZLIC's project to manage, unless they deem it appropriate
> to hand it over to the *GeoNetwork*
>   community to run with at some point in the future.
Agree. OSGeo Aust-NZ is a lobbying organisation with some expertise in
this area, no more. Direction needs to come from sponsors and sponsors
will decide who should take the lead. Maybe I need to make this clearer.
Ben is currently aligning sponsors and I will leave the sponsors to
decide who will take the lead.

> - For a quick win, I suggest that we split out the GeoNetwork specific
> section and concentrate on it first.
>   It will probably provide a framework to use with other OS spatial
> projects as well.
Noted. I think it was John who made a similar comment. I'll think about
how to best achieve this.I've made a number of recommendations which
require an understanding of business drivers if they are to be accepted.

> _On SDIs_
>
> I don't think that the SDI section should be in the document. I find
> that it is divisive and will detract from the message that we are
> trying to deliver.
>
> Paul has his beliefs and is entitled to them. I personally don't think
> that things are as gloomy as described.
>
> Please see my follow up post for more information.
Your following post and follow on from Ian provides some very good
points which I'd like to include, and then probably extract out into a
separate appendix and section. I'll need to think about how to best
handle this.