[Aust-NZ] Time to move - Incorporation of OSGeo-AustNZ [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Ian.Batley at ga.gov.au Ian.Batley at ga.gov.au
Wed Oct 15 23:48:45 EDT 2008

Brent

I am no legal eagle but I do (and have) belonged to a number of associations.
One which definitely has o/s members is actually a registered company.
Another is registered in WA but has members from all Aust states/territories,
whilst another is registered in the ACT but has NSW members. Yet another is
registered in NSW but has ACT members. These last three are associations and
not companies.

I think it largely comes down to what is written in the constitution. Eg
membership, membership classes or grades, board and executive make-up,
powers, etc.

BTW, none of the groups mentioned above have gone down the Registrable
Australian Bodies path, so I suspect that we would not need too.

Unfortunately, I think we might have to get accountant or legal advice to
work out the 'proper' way forward. Does anyone have a legal acquaintance or
relative?

But I must ask. Do we need to go down this path at all?

I suspect that if we want to be a legal entity and have bank accounts, etc.
then we will need to. Otherwise, I would say that we should just be a part of
the greater OSGeo community.

Ian
Ian Batley
ian.batley at ga.gov.au