Fwd: FW: [Aust-NZ] Time to move - Incorporation of OSGeo-AustNZ] [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
Thu Oct 16 19:54:45 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-17 at 10:48 +1100, Bruce Bannerman wrote:
> Ian,
>
> Some background info from about 12 months ago that is relevant:
>
> http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/aust-nz/2007-November/000170.html
>

> I prefer the Limited Liability option in this litigious day and age.

The incorporated association gives the same limited liability as Pty Ltd
does.  It is designed as a cheaper method of achieving the same ends but
is restricted to non profits.  It exists for a reason, and I think we
should use it.

I'll dig out what I started for going down this path wrt WA
incorporation as that seemed to provide the most flexibility at minimal
cost.  After that we only need to register with ASIC to operate
nationally.

Regards,
Tim Bowden

> It may be cheaper to set up an Association in the short term, but far,
> far more expensive in the longer term.
>
> ...there is cheap and there is cheap...
>

> (NB: the $1300 is the price for a professional to establish the
> organisation).
>

> Bruce

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you recognize a mistake
when you make it again.