[Aust-NZ] Update on who is doing what with FOSS4G in AustNZ [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 02:37:16 EDT 2010

We have worked on quite a few Open Source projects at LISAsoft. Here is
a few I can remember off the top of my head:

* A Web Processing Service pilot for Defence Science and Technology
Organisation (DSTO), making use of a browser based (open source) client,
and pywps server

* We've completed the pilot phase of a department wide asset management
system for Queensland Parks (now Department of Environment and Resource
Management). This makes extensive use of Open Source : Postgres,
PostGIS, GeoServer, uDig, BIRT

* We have developed a number of Web Mapping web sites for clients, using
Open Layers, GeoServer and Postgres/PostGIS, Drupal

* We used a lot of Open Source in the last OGC testbed, using Duckhawk
for WFS validation and testing, FullMoon  and Solidground for data
modelling. Also extended the uDig WPS client.

* For Landgate Innovation grants we developed 3 pilot applications, an
Openlayers based Crowd Sourcing application, extensions to PostGIS, and
something else I can't remember off the top of my head.

* For DSE, we are currently converting a data processing chain, which
was previously developed in ArcGIS server, to Open Source technologies
(primarily PostGIS SQL held together with python scripts). This project
is quite exciting. Open Source has proven to be very flexible, and
efficient, which has made processing steps much simpler. Apparently in
places, some of the steps have been reduced from weeks down to hours to run.

* We have provided Open Source training courses, and have just launched
GeoSpatial Training courses here: http://lisasoft.com/training