[Aust-NZ] FYI: challenge of open data

Ross Johnson rossgo at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 20 15:22:08 PST 2013

FYI:

The challenge of open data

If Alan Noble had his way, all publicly funded information, including scientific data, would be released under permissive licencing.
Alan, the Engineering Director for Google Australia and New Zealand, challenged the audience at the TERN symposium dinner last night, speaking about the need to unleash our public information assets.
‘If we want to optimise our economic and social assets, the best way to do that is by making it open. After all, the public have paid for it,’ he said.
‘Oftentimes the barriers aren’t technical, they’re cultural – a tendency to horde information.'

Read more: http://www.tern.org.au/Newsletter-2013-Feb-Symposium-Data-Infrastructure-pg25281.html