[Aust-NZ] FOSS4G-ANZ?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 13:39:36 PST 2017

I'm taking this email thread public (with John Bryant's permission), to
the active QGIS email list, and mostly inactive Aust-NZ OSGeo email
list. I suggest we continue on the QGIS list (subscription details below).

Following on from a successful QGIS 1 day conference which was sold out
and had a waiting list, questions are being asked about what next.

Here are some of my thoughts so far. Who else is interested? Putting
together an event is a lot of work and is best achieved if there are
multiple people involved.

On 19/11/17 9:48 pm, John Bryant wrote:
> Hi Cameron,
>
> Thanks for your talk at QGIS-fest the other day, it was thought
> provoking. I went away with some stuff to think about re: trust and
> how open source plays into that. Much appreciated.
>
> I was hoping to catch you on Friday to ask your thoughts around a
> regional FOSS4G conference for Australia & New Zealand... it has been
> on my mind. The increased activity around the Aus QGIS group has got
> me thinking about the latent interest in open source geospatial in our
> region. My experience in Perth showed me there are many folks working
> hard in this area, but a shortage of opportunities to get together and
> share stories.
>
> I recently moved to Melbourne, and I've been talking to a few people
> (Alex Leith in particular) about the idea of getting something off the
> ground. There seems to be both 1) interest in
> participating/contributing and 2) general agreement that it's timely.
>
> With your 2009 FOSS4G experience, and your engagement with OSGeo, I
> wanted to see what your thoughts were on the subject. I thought you'd
> have a well-grounded perspective on the reality of organising this
> kind of event, and was interested to know if you thought it was a good
> idea, and would be supportive.
>
> I spent a couple of hours talking it over with Daniel Silk the other
> evening, and he mentioned you're already thinking along these lines...
> very exciting to hear!
>
> Anyhow, given you've already started down this track, let me just
> express my keen interest in participating. I can offer a good
> background in community organising and volunteering, with several
> years in Perth spent organising Georabble and starting geogeeks.org
> <http://geogeeks.org>. I live for this stuff and would be stoked to
> help make FOSS4G-ANZ 2018 happen...
>
> Please keep me in the loop!
>
> Cheers