[Belgium] Mapping facilities for homeless people - Save the date : 27/02/2016

Maelle Vercauteren mavercau at ulb.ac.be
Tue Feb 2 03:05:09 PST 2016

Dear all,

As you know, we are planning our 'Mapping party for homeless people' on
Saturday, February 27. This reflects the first concrete step following our
meeting on December 2 in order to bring our expertise to organizations
helping homeless people.

Concretely this event type Citizen ' Mapathon' aims to map out
(OpenStreetMaps) useful resources for people in precarious situations.

This is a first Brussels collaborative experience in this thematic,
admittedly imperfect, but which following long-term vision :

- Create additional bridge between associations and citizens

- Cooperation- collaboration to avoid doingsolitarily what could be done
together

- Maximize the use of existing free resources

- Production of well-organized resources to minimize update and maintenance
tasks

and so contributing directly to many organizations, similar (but different)
to what is done by the HOT team to NGOs like the Red Cross and MSF (
https://www.cartong.org/news/collaboration-hotmsfcartong-guinea-crisis).
The significance of this day is to evaluate if this initiative is working
and realize its opportunities but also its limitations, and if necessary
make adjustments ((in-) training, drafting a charter, development of new
tools ...).

To provide training for field workers, we would start the day with an
introduction of the given tool by 1-2 people from OSM. Once this step is
completed, volunteers may begin adding new data (cue points, fountains,
toilets, etc.), Making the map a valuable tool...

Do not hesitate to give your feedback before Wednesday 3, the idea is to
launch official invitations Thursday, February 4th.

More information on the shared document:
https://mypads.framapad.org/mypads/?/mypads/group/cartopartie-27-02-2015-k331q7cd/pad/view/cartopartie-27-02-2015-z632q762

Once the version is finalized, we could translate it into NL and ENGL and
put it on the wiki OSGeo and ...

For the board, is it ok to put on the OSGeo Wiki that there is a OSGeo.be
collaboration with Poppy and Dewey?

Thank you in advance for your return and nice afternoon to all of you,

Maë//e

--
Maëlle VERCAUTEREN DRUBBEL
Coordinatrice du stage SIG Libres ARES

Université Libre de Bruxelles - IGEAT (CP 130 / 03)
Av. F. D. Roosevelt, 50
B-1050 Bruxelles
Tél.: 02/650.68.14 Fax: 02/650.50.92 Local: DB6.143