[Belgium] QGIS 3.14 Pi - Splash Map Competition

Michel Stuyts michel.stuyts at edegem.be
Sat Jun 6 13:45:54 PDT 2020

One of my maps is on the short-list to be featured on the splash screen of QGIS 3.14 (Pi).  So please go vote for your favorite design on: https://forms.gle/puKRxuAuwsPzzgYf7

Michel

[cid:8a03437f-baa6-4b05-a87f-9bc39339d797]

Map of Pi

Since Pi is very much linked to circles, I looked for the most circular place I could find.  The place I made a map of is Vahanga, an atoll in the Pacific Ocean.  I decorated the map with angles of a circle in radians as divisions of Pi.  Because QGIS splash screens usually show a map of a location where a developer meeting was, the chance it would ever have a map of this part of the world is just as irrational as Pi, because the closest inhabited place is more than a 1000km away.  My map is also linked to Corona (the reason there was no dev meeting in the first place), because the atoll is crown shaped and Corona means crown.  Besides being linked to Pi and Corona, my map is also very much linked to QGIS, because it's 100% made with QGIS. The angles in radians where made with "geometry generators" from the central point.  The fills where made using "random marker fills" combined with an expression using "randf()" to set the size of the markers with a "Data defined override". For the shallow water on the inside of the atoll I used a "Shapeburst fill".