Enc: Fwd: [Benchmarking] ESRI Participation

James Fee jfee at weogeo.com
Sat Aug 22 17:04:16 EDT 2009

Either we run ESRI on RedHat, or we don't run it at all.   I'd just assume
see them all run on the same exact OS configured the same way.  Otherwise
what is the point of this benchmarking exercise?  Disputed results will only
mar the effort people are putting into this.

ESRI won't certify on CentOS; so if it is slower, that leaves the test open
to questioning.  If it is on an ESRI certified platform, then there is no
question to the benchmarks.

I've successfully installed ESRI on other distros than RedHant (and SUSE),
but configuration is a PITA.

--
James Fee
jfee at weogeo.com
mobile: 480.225.2287
skype: cageyjames

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 1:28 PM, Cameron Shorter
<cameron.shorter at gmail.com>wrote:

> A comment from the sidelines ...
>
> <snip> wrote:
>
>> Cameron,
>>
>> I don't want to enter on one more discussion, but please tell Paul that it
>> is obvious that what you have to do is benchmarking over Virtual Machines.
>> Let ESRI build their VM with whatever SO they wish. If they like Windows
>> better, let them be it (they will lose...)
>>
>> But please don't let ESRI defined the playground you are competing!!!!
>> Why should the other players be forced to run on ESRI choice of OS?
>> Don't let them make the rules! (I know them well ...)
>>

>> Cheers,
>> <snip>

>>> from our linux guy on what we (ArcGIS Server) would need. Will you guys