Fwd: [Benchmarking] ESRI Participation

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Aug 26 13:46:48 EDT 2009

Satish Sankaran wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> Thanks for allowing us to participate on the RHEL platform. We at ESRI are
> quite thrilled at this opportunity to participate in the benchmark test and
> I can confirm ESRI's participation.
>
> I have a couple of immediate questions for the organizers:
>
> 1. Is there any paperwork that needs to be completed.

Satish,

No, we are pretty low paperwork sorts of folks. :-)

> 2. Would your core team  take care of the OS install and we would just need
>  to install SDE and our server product (ArcGIS server)

Our system hosts at the Corp (Mike Smith and Joel Schlagel) have
agreed to replace the existing CentOS OS on the 2 cpu system with
RHEL.   You would be provided with ssh access and it would be up
to you to install SDE and the server product.

Mike / Joel - could you provide Satish with an account and
connect info as soon as convenient?

> 3. Would the core benchmark team setup the postgres data base and will we
> all be using postgis. I see Oracle and SDE mentioned on the twiki. Would
> that mean there will be an Oracle and SDE installation available and that we
> could use that.

The initial datasets have been uploaded in shapefile format.  I
believe there are plans to setup a postgres/postgis instance
(perhaps Paul will do this on his return?)  There is flexibility
on whether you use either or both (oracle and postgres).

> 4. Can you also provide links to the data that will be used, so we can get
> familiar with the data internally here.

Per the wiki, the datasets are in /opt/data.  They are fairly
sizable, but if you need to you could pull a copy down.  Perhaps
Andrea will have pointers to somewhere you can grab them via
http.

> 5. Can we get links to the machines, where we would be installing the
> server.

Mike or Joel will provide ssh accounts as soon as practical.

> 6. Are there any planned conf-calls or is all discussions held via e-mails
> and the listserv.

We are planning another IRC (Internet Relay Chat) meeting next
week on Wednesday - I'm not sure of the exact time.  If you are
unfamiliar with IRC there is some general information at:

   http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/IRC

the web client at http://irc.telascience.org/ should work.

Meetings and other discussions will mostly take place on the mailing
list though occational impromptu discussions may occur on the #foss4g
and other channels.

> 7. Can we get more information on the types of performance tests that will
> be run and the tools used for the tests.

Basically we plan to run a series of WMS queries against the different
servers using an assortment of bboxes with varying numbers of concurrent
requests.  Andrea Aime did a version of this performance tests between
MapServer and GeoServer the last two years and we hope to use a similar
pattern but expanding the coverages and configurations.

I believe we will be using JMeter on the second (1 cpu server) as the
query engine.

> I assume many of these questions may have been answered in previous threads
> on the listserv, but I would really appreciate if we can get an e-mail
> response, so that we can start getting our action plan together ASAP.

No problem.

> I signed on (yesterday) to the bench mark mailing list and we may have
> others from ESRI sign up too.

Excellent

Best regards,