[Benchmarking] Use of the machines, location of the data sources

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Tue Jul 28 23:13:22 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 8:12 AM, Andrea Aime<aaime at opengeo.org> wrote:

> The main question is, how do we use them?
> Possibilities:
> 1) run the server software on A, use B to run JMeter

Strongly (1). Keep it simple. We have enough things to test without
testing hardware too.

> As for data sources interest has been shown my our
> host to have Oracle and SDE benchmarked as well.
> First off, did we get permission to do so?

Well, CERL can provide us Oracle to test, but since we would probably
be constrained from publishing the results I think we can spend our
time better.

SDE on PostgreSQL we could test. And I have had some interest from
ESRI in becoming involved, though that is at an early stage at this
moment, so we should continue on our merry way without letting that
slow us down.

> Secondly, it seems Postgis will run on A, meaning
> it will be local, so the comparison may be unfair
> to one side or the other of the equation, depending
> on whether CPU or the network prove to be the bottleneck.
> Opinions?

If we were comparing to remote databases, yes, but then the comparison
(at a database level) would be pointless anyways, since presumable the
remote database would also have different hardware. Let's assume for
now that we're testing Shape and PostGIS and worry about variations
if/when they arrive.

P.