[Benchmarking] Presentation abstract and benchmark contents

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Mon Jun 1 17:43:34 EDT 2009

According to the web site, the deadline is June 1, so I submitted
right away just to be on the safe side. We can edit the abstract
later. I submitted the version I edited:

This is the latest installment in an annual series of benchmarks and
presentations that pit open source and other web mapping servers
against one another in a suite of performance tests.  The presentation
seeks to find out the optimal software configurations
and to compare the performance in different real world use cases, such
as large data handling, OSM like rendering, large raster serving and
WFS scalability.  MapServer and Geoserver will be compared, as well as
different back-end data sources, such as PostGIS and Shapefiles.

[Note to reviewers, other servers may also be added to the test,
pending participation by community members.]