[Benchmarking] Re: FOSS4G wms shootout

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at lisasoft.com
Wed Oct 14 20:18:33 EDT 2009

After discussion on IRC with members of the Benchmarking team, and then
on the phone with Satish, we have agreed to keep this announcement low key.

I've copied ESRI's position (from this email thread)  earlier onto the
web page at:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2009_Press_Release_38
I plan to leave this message here. (if would remain in the archive if I
removed it), but do not plan to run it through our usual email lists.

Satish has agreed that it should be mentioned in the performance
shootout that ESRI is unable to participate. Unless Satish provides
alternative words, I suggest picking appropriate words from:
"ESRI has informed the organizers of the FOSS4G their inability to
continue participating in the WMS shootout event because of other
priority obligations that have emerged and resource availability
constraints. ESRI has informed us that they will nevertheless continue
their participation in the Climate Challenge Integration Plugfest event
at the conference. While we would have liked to have seen ESRI's
participation in the event, we understand their commitment to their
users and appreciate their efforts to date. We look forward to seeing
them at FOSS4G in the weeks ahead. "

--
OSGeo reasons for keeping low key:
* "ESRI participation in the WMS Shootout was going to be a highlight of

* ESRI reaching out to OSGeo like they have been doing is very valuable
from a marketing perspective for Open Source as much as it is for ESRI.
It shows integration of our products. ESRI have been working very hard
on the WMS Shootout, and have conflicting resourcing priorities which
have caused them to have to pull out. It must have been a very hard call
for ESRI to do this, and we should do our best to help them through
this, so that they are inclined to continue with these activities in future.

Satish Sankaran wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> 	We would prefer the approach you suggest here.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Satish

>>> 3. my blog with is incorporated into blog agregators, I'm not sure how
>>> widely.
>>> 4. People interested in foss4g list, collected over the years, ~

--
Cameron Shorter
Geospatial Solutions Manager

Think Globally, Fix Locally