[Benchmarking] Vector layers: towards a definitive list of styles and layers

Andrea Aime aaime at opengeo.org
Thu Sep 3 05:11:52 EDT 2009

Hi,
I would like to get a more or less definitive list of layers,
stylings and configurations so that we can start doing some
benchmarking on the vector layers.

The wiki page lists a number of them:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Benchmarking_2009#Layers

In the last meeting we decided that each layer should be tested
against shapefiles, postgis, sde over postgis (right?)
This makes 3 tests per layer, over 4 servers (with ESRI not able
to connect to postgis without SDE intermediation).

We also decided we'll run some tests against PNG24 with full
antialiasing, and some others against PNG8 (or was it GIF)
without antialiasing.

In the first meeting we also observed how making many tests
against the road layers was considered not very productive.

So here is a proposal of what we could test:

- texas_roads_styled, png24, full antialiasing, no labels,
   with the style suggested here:
   http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Texas_roads_styled
- point_layer_styled using gnis_pop, png24, full antialiasing,
   style tbd (see other mails)
- polygon_layer_styled, png8 (gif), no antialiasing, a mix
   or solid fill and textured fills maybe?
- do we want to run a multilayer test with all the above
   in a single request? Same styling, png24, full antialiasing

Cheers
Andrea

--
Andrea Aime