[Benchmarking] abstract for FOSS4G

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Mon Apr 12 16:23:51 EDT 2010

Hello everyone,

With the deadline for abstracts approaching (15 April), we should submit
an abstract for the performance shootout.  Looking at
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Benchmarking_2010 we have teams from
GeoServer, MapServer, and Mapnik committed as of now, so here is an
updated abstract:

************
Title: Web Mapping Performance Shoot-out

Abstract
--------

This is the latest installment in an annual series of benchmarks and
presentations that pit Open Source and other Web mapping servers against
one another in a suite of performance tests. The presentation seeks to
find out the optimal software configurations and to compare the
performance in different real world use cases, which might include
handling large datasets, Open Street Map (OSM) rendering, and attribute
labeling. At the minimum, MapServer, GeoServer, and MapNik will be
compared, as well as different back-end data sources, such as PostGIS
and Shapefiles. [Other Web mapping servers may also be added to the
exercise, pending participation by their community members]

Presenters: Andrea Aime and Jeff McKenna

Andrea, are you willing to do the presentation with me again?  If so I
can submit this abstract.

Thoughts?

-jeff