[Benchmarking] PostGIS performance issues?

Andrea Aime aaime at opengeo.org
Sat Aug 28 06:02:37 EDT 2010

Hi,
to explore a hunch this morning I made a few full runs of the
benchmarks against postgis from GeoServer and MapServer fcgi
getting more or less the same bad results: either of them hardly
goes beyond the 6 requests per second.

Looking at the database machine the test is disk bound with
postgres reading less than 10MB/s for all the test duration
(as reported by vmstat 1)

I'm wondering if there might be anything wrong with the
postgres/postgis configuration itself?

The shapefile tests on the linux server are not disk bound
for mapserver and the performance is completely different
(they are disk bound for GS but I'm working on it ;-) )

Cheers
Andrea

--
Andrea Aime