[Benchmarking] JMeter tip

Dane Springmeyer dane at dbsgeo.com
Mon Aug 30 12:12:17 EDT 2010

For those new to testing with JMeter in graphical mode, be aware of a pitfall to avoid.

It appears that JMeter can get hung up easily, or at least I saw this frequently when testing yesterday. Sometimes it would require a: sudo kill -9 `/sbin/pidof java` as the Jmeter interface would become unresponsive (even though I could move the window around).

Basically the symptom is that once JMeter starts firing off 64 threads of requests you server appears to become much less responsive and throughput goes drastically down.

But its JMeter that is slow not your server. Restarting JMeter and re-running the same test will likely avoid the issue, but re-starting JMeter for ever run is a pain.

Thanks to Andrea, it appears that this is caused by JMeter showing the results for successes in the results tree, and it likely gets overloaded. So, to turn this off unless you specifically need to view the successes:

Open a .jmx file --> View Results Tree --> Log/Display only "errors"

Dane