[Benchmarking] Raster dataset

Jason Birch jason at jasonbirch.com
Fri Jul 23 22:58:31 EDT 2010

Have decisions been made about minimum and maximum scales for the
orthophotos?  If they are beig requested at scales that read from more
than a few orthophotos at a time, it would be really useful if they
could also be aggregated up into one or more layers of merged overview
tiffs for optimal viewing at those levels.

Frank, I made similar guesses about appropriate block size based on
typical usage of my orthophotos, trying to optimize for the number of
blocks that would be displayed on a typical viewport under normal
usage. I wasn't working from any real knowledge of the underlying
access mechanisms though, and would be interested to know if I was
totally out to lunch on this "logic"

Given the time it took me to download the vector data, I'm not sure
that I'll have the raster any time soon :)