[Benchmarking] Too much raster data?

Andrea Aime aaime at opengeo.org
Mon Jul 26 09:13:59 EDT 2010

Jeff McKenna wrote:
> Iván Sánchez Ortega wrote:
>> On Sunday 25 July 2010 08:37:15 Andrea Aime wrote:
>>> The original target size was 100GB of imagery, which would be reached
>>> by taking a subset of 12 files instead (a 4x3 block)
>>>
>>> Soo... shall we select a subset of files?
>>
>> I'll go wild and say 14:
>>
>> 0362-0365
>> 0391-0392
>> 0419-0421
>> 0447-0448b
>>
>> That covers a nice area around Barcelona, with lots of blank data.
>
> Sounds good to me.

One question. For the baseline test are
we going to crate a single giant geotiff or have people
use a mosaic of those 14 files?

The mosaic of 14 files is going to be around 113.4GB,
but if we create a single seamless file I believe the
size will be equivalent to 16 files instead, since
we have no compression, which is  129.6GB.

Frank, others, what do we do? Single giant file or
mosaic?

Cheers
Andrea