[Benchmarking] Hardware Specs added to Wiki

Andrea Aime aaime at opengeo.org
Wed Jun 23 02:44:46 EDT 2010

Frank Warmerdam ha scritto:
> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 1:35 PM, Smith, Michael D ERDC-CRREL-NH
> <michael.smith at usace.army.mil> wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I’ve added the hardware specs to the wiki for the machines I’ve been able to
>> collect.
>
> Mike,
>
> The machines look good from  my point of view, with
> a good match between the linux and windows system.
> I see the disk space (160GB) is modest so this will
> be a limiting factor in our data volumes.

Indeed. I don't see us adding the OS, potentially
8 servers with all their dependencies, 20GB or
so of shapefiles in native format + various
other optimized formats for the best effort
trial) and 100GB of geotiffs + various optimized
other formats in 160GB space total.

I guess we seriously need to scale down the amount
of data we'll be using and/or give up the idea
of doing "best effort" benchmarking as that is the
thing that will make most teams roll out their
own special formats, one per server

Either that or someone puts the money on the
table for larger disks (Mike,
is that even an option or the machines have to
be left untouched?)

Cheers
Andrea

--