[Benchmarking] Ideas for next year

Dane Springmeyer dane at dbsgeo.com
Sat Sep 17 03:07:51 EDT 2011

On Sep 16, 2011, at 11:23 PM, Iván Sánchez Ortega wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> During some beers at the Wynkoop, I had an idea that I think is worth sharing.
>
> Until now, the results focus on throughtput per number of concurrent requests.
> This is fine, but other metrics are possible.
>
> Then, I heard that Mapnik excels at requests with few vector features, while
> Mapserver does a very good job when there are many vector features to be
> rendered.

Mapnik does not do any line simplification or, until yesterday, even attempt to clip geometries. I think getting clipping working better and implementing simplification will help quite a bit. Running oprofile on mapnik reveals that (other than zlib) the functions most in use is are agg line rendering functions.