[Benchmarking] 2013 Shootout?

Seven (aka Arnulf) seven at arnulf.us
Thu Apr 11 04:20:07 PDT 2013

Martin,
thanks for proposing this, I think this is a great idea.

The OpenData published by the OS is a real-world set of data from very
different geographic resources. I have been working with them quite a
bit recently and encountered some really interesting issues. For
example that a compressed raster will serve faster from a cloud
environment than an uncompressed version but that the uncompressed TIF
served form a standalone machine with much less CPU but a HD directly
connected to it will beat it by lengths.

So my interest would actually be in learning more about these options,
not which software is the "best" [1]. (I married MapServer a long time
ago and only death will separate us, sort of :-).

I'd be interested in helping to find data, create architecture /
hardware scenarios and might even provide some modest server resources
myself.

Ah, plus this will allow us to shed some light on Open Data (and I
will make sure there is some OSM in the mix to compare with OS GB, if
only for the provocative effect of having pub symbols on an
authoritative map). ...plus I am currently evangelizing or advocating
Open Data to UK Local Authorities - and showing that it is possible
and even easy with Open Source tools will make a great mix. Ahm, and
yes, that one can then even combine them with the proprietary folks in
the mix (closing the loop to Martin).

Have fun,
Arnulf

[1] read about my take on the unique, single "best" here:

On 04/11/2013 09:57 AM, Martin Daly wrote:
>> maybe this year we do a deegree, MapServer shootout?  Any other
>> interested development teams lurking???
>
> I'm interested, but I'm not sure at the moment that we can commit.
> However, because you will be in my playground, I do have a couple
> of ideas.
>
> First, for data we/you could use OS OpenData:
>
> http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/opendata/discover.html
>
> The data goes from (raster) MiniScale at ~1:1 000 000 to OS
> VectorMap District (raster or vector) down to ~1: 15 000. It is the
> same data that is used in OS OpenSpace:
>
> http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/support/web-services/code-playground.html

SLD files are available for all products, as far as I know.

> Second, we/you could use the OS OpenSpace tiling scheme, instead
> of the normal web map one. It is interesting for a few reasons: it
> uses a grown-up CRS (British National Grid, EPSG 27700); it has
> resolutions that are not powers of two; and it has more than one
> tile size (on different tiling levels that is; they are homogenous
> on a single tile level, obviously).
>
> I can provide the details if you are interested.
>
> Martin

Cadcorp is a trading name of Computer Aided Development Corporation
Limited; registered in England;