[Benchmarking] [EXTERNAL] Who shot the shootout?

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at metaspatial.net
Tue Sep 3 06:03:20 PDT 2013

Hm, this is unfortunate. Time to give up?

How did this happen?

I set up the page in April [1] and sent mails to all relevant lists. I
personally talked to Jeff (MapServer), Martin Daly (CadCorp), Markus
Schmidt (deegree), Andrea Aimee (GeoServer), Pirmin Kalberer (QGIS
Server) in the following weeks. All to no avail. There was some vague
interest but nobody started to move. Jeff and Andrea early in the game
already said that they would not be able to do much due to lots of
project work.

My guess is that applies to most everybody: busy making a business. Plus
the interest of the projects also seems to have gone away. We have done
the experiment a few times, all of our software is really good, really
high performance systems use cached tiles anyway, so what's the point?
Tuning to highest performance is an individual exercise on individual
hardware with individual requirements and therefore almost never a
generic task.

This is why I had hoped to get the interest back by broadening the scope
and include Desktop GIS bench marking for usability and to look into
cartographic quality. But neither gvSIG, gvSIG CE or QGIS projects
reacted - even after I contacted them personally. Our MoU'd partner ICA
(International Cartographic Association) was also highly interested but
with no follow-up. They were swamped with their own business and just
concluded their own bi-annual conference in Dresden.

In July I contacted the University of Bonn. They were in general
interested but said that it was too little time until September and that
they might do something next year. Same with Hochschule Beuth in Berlin
and several others. This is when I sort of got a bored (that was after
panicking).

I also contacted WPS benchmark team in the hope that they had some
success but so far have not heard back from them at all.

I am happy to withdraw my presentation rather than stand there and make
the impression that I did not do my job. :-)

Now what?

If we don't find a viable solution within two days I will notify the
conference organizers that we drop the slot in the closing plenary.

Have fun,
Arnulf,

[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php?title=Benchmarking_2013&action=history