[Benchmarking] [EXTERNAL] Who shot the shootout?

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Tue Sep 3 08:32:51 PDT 2013

Sorry was on a conference call all morning, wanted to respond, but
give it my whole focus.

I think that each past participant knows the effort involved in this
exercise (you can easily estimate 20 days of effort on this, by EACH
team).  Usually we start planning in January, and then it is almost a
fulltime job for the last few months before FOSS4G.  It is that sweat
and blood that made the presentation so popular, and the results so
useful, for years to come.

I don't see this shootout as dead for future FOSS4Gs: opposite in
fact. We will all learn from this.  (look at FOSS4G 2012, then think
of how strong FOSS4G 2013 is)  We all learn as we go.

So no one shot the shootout.  The ball was there on the ground, we
were all busy. It's a team(s) effort, and it somehow didn't pan out
this time.

But it sure makes us all appreciate the effort put into the other
exercises.

We'll come back stronger I feel.  I know it.

-jeff