[Benchmarking] Rebooting the Benchmarking effort

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Wed Sep 4 05:18:25 PDT 2013

On 13-09-04 6:28 AM, Arnulf Christl wrote:

> At the end of the presentation I would like to share a proposal how to
> do benchmarking in the longer term. It would involve that OSGeo makes
> the benchmark an organizational effort and specifically request for
> benchmark sponsoring. Sponsors can then put a focus on either usability,
> performance, cartographic output quality, or whatever else they come up
> with (and they will). OSGeo should then invest the new funds to support
> code sprints where we dedicate one day to benchmarking. Or maybe even
> have a dedicated benchmark sprint before FOSS4G (just like it was in the
> good old days anyway).
>
> Thoughts?

As I'm sure you are well aware, for something like this to happen you
need a champion who gets deeply involved not just in coordinating from a
high level, but in doing the actual work and/or tasking or pestering
others to do their bit (and in a volunteer world tasking others is not
really an option).

Unfortunately, just proposing that "OSGeo makes the benchmark an
organizational effort...", etc... is not going to go very far without a
champion to do the actual work to make this happen, because as you wrote
in another email it seems that all those who could have an interest in
contributing to this are already too busy with their own busy-ness.

My 0.02$ (and I'd love to be proved wrong)

--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/