[Benchmarking] Rebooting the Benchmarking effort

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Wed Sep 4 08:00:45 PDT 2013

On 13-09-04 10:51 AM, Arnulf Christl wrote:

> On 04.09.2013 15:06, Jeff McKenna wrote:
>> Hi Arnulf,
>>
>> I feel that we could use the presentation timeslot to sort of have a
>> town hall discussion on the benchmarking exercise.  It's an insanely
>> popular presentation, so let's talk about it in the open.  Maybe
>> request microphones for the audience beforehand to the LOC.  Could be
>> very interesting, and beneficial.
>>
>> -jeff
>
> Yes, but no. Usually nothing reasonable comes from any randombody in the
> audience at this type of high level slot. You only get quick shots. So
> we either fake this with somebody sitting there who has spent weeks
> pondering this issues (maybe you, Andrea, Daniel, Jachym and others
> sneak into the audience anonymously :-) or we just get shallow proposals
> that are never followed up on. At least that is my impression. I'd
> rather spend 10 minutes of the slot to make a good pitch for future
> sponsors - be it for OSGeo directly or a specific fund drive we run for
> benchmarking. For that I'd need board direction. Or maybe not. You tell
> me :-)

I agree with Arnulf that we can't expect much from such a large audience
that has not had time to prepare for the discussion, and where most of
them don't even understand what running a benchmarking exercise
involves. That was my thinking as well.

Why not have the "town hall discussion" on this list now since most/all
the potential contributors to the solution are following this list, and
the most meaningful ideas are likely to come from this group, and then
present the conclusions and a future plan to the larger audience at
FOSS4G. We can always open up for comments from the audience after
presenting a potential plan or a few alternatives.

Just my opinion of course.

--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/