[Benchmarking] Rebooting the Benchmarking effort

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Wed Sep 4 09:49:46 PDT 2013

On 2013-09-04 12:24 PM, Arnulf Christl wrote:

> This was my thinking. The more we can agree on here the better.
> This also applies for whatever we might want to suggest to the
> OSGeo board regarding future directions. If we really want to
> propose some kind of sponsor driven benchmark event our proposal to
> the board should better be good. The more convincing and thought
> through it is the easier it will be for the board to agree.

I am hesitant to think the funding should come directly through the
Board/OSGeo.  I've been at the forefront of OSGeo funding proposals
many times now, and just because the proposal is thought through
doesn't make it possible.  OSGeo revenue sources and sponsors are
scarce.  More likely possible is finding funding for this exercise as
part of the FOSS4G conference.  So our proposal could be sent to the
OSGeo Conference Committee (heck, one can even imagine this as part of
a future hosting RFP), as well as introduced in the benchmarking
presentation in Nottingham.

-jeff