[OSGeo-Board] Sprint into the Weekend

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
Fri Apr 21 06:58:27 PDT 2006

Gary Lang wrote:
> OK. What is *the* essential stack for OSGeo to support?
>
> Gary

Hi,
sorry to elaborate but I just felt like it...

This is a hard one again. Let me explain. Me not being very at home in
the English language gotta look it all up. I adopted a work flow that
sometimes puts me in an endless loop. More oftentimes though it produces
great results: Throw the English word into dict.leo.org, translate it to
German, choose one of the German results, translate back into English
and iterate until you like the result. Watch out for this one:
essential -> ätherisch -> ethereal -> himmlisch. Now you can choose from
this celestial selection:

angelic
celestial
celestially
elysian
empyreal
ethereal
heavenly

This is fine with me, the OSGeo Stack heavenly.

Now to the bolded *the*. For some strange reason dict.leo.org returns:
absinthe   also: absinth
(Don't believe? Here you go:
http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&lang=de&searchLoc=0&cmpType=relaxed&sectHdr=on&spellToler=on&search=*the*&relink=on

Fine, I understand booze, but how does that connect back to the OSGeo
Stack?! Gary, don't drink and hack!

To finally answer your question: Currently de haute teneur heavenly
stack supports all OSGeo projects but Ossim and MapGuide (and that only
because i simply don't know enough about them). Yours and Mark Lucas'
job is to add MapGuide Open Source and Ossim to the Stack and think up
what scope they cover and what leeway a 400 pound gorilla might need.
Markus Neteler already added GRASS (accommodating Godzilla...).

What the stack might look like "is being developed" by 'us' in the Wiki:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Software_Stack

Go hack it.

Best regards,
'us'

Hmmm. Somehow I feel like I missed the point of your question...?