[OSGeo-Board] Better coordination of meeting needed (commitees etc)

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Fri Apr 21 10:14:58 PDT 2006

dear Markus, all,

On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 06:20:14PM +0200, Markus Neteler wrote:
> Today it was my fault to not carefully check the posted link

It completely was not your fault, this was a cut-and-paste error.
This has caught me out with geodata at least once, when Europe
switched to daylight savings a week or two before the US did.

> I would suggest to make use of
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Foundation_Calendar
> or better, have a more fancy calendar tool.

And this page had the geodata meeting time wrong, too. :/ And doesn't
reflect activities like FOSS4G organising, which aren't part of a
Committee activity but which members are contributing a lot of time to.

+1 on a desire for simple shared calendar which isn't subject to as
much casual "human error" as wiki can be, and this is something to go
on a reference list of tools that OSGeo would get a lot of use out of,
but aren't being provided by CollabNet right now. As mentioned in the
meeting, I'd be happy to help work up some of the content in, and
linked from, the Infrastructure Working Group page, into an ideal
spec for what OSGeo would ideally be providing in terms of online
services - both to manage itself as a foundation, and provide support
resources for foundation projects...

> Concerning the committees, I suggest that the chairs really define
> a fixed day and time. This ever ongoing shifting is at least confusing
> me. Suggestion: Since the problem of finding an optimal meeting
> time is the same for each committee, why not using always the same
> (e.g. the time of the board meeting of today) and then negotiate
> the days? As we have more committees than days of the week,
> this can be solved by doing meetings only every second week.

Nod, I think geodata and FOSS4G have both stabilised at their times
now, and I see no need for the former to meet more than once a
fortnight at the moment. (Is 'fortnight' also obscure UK English
slang? You know I mean once every two weeks...)

best wishes,

jo