[OSGeo-Board] Meeting this Friday

Gary Lang gary.lang at autodesk.com
Wed Aug 2 14:45:02 PDT 2006

=1 Works for me.

-----Original Message-----
From: Venkatesh Raghavan [mailto:raghavan at media.osaka-cu.ac.jp]
Sent: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 12:24 AM
To: Frank Warmerdam (External)
Cc: OSGeo-Board
Subject: Re: [OSGeo-Board] Meeting this Friday

Dear Board and Hi Frank

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> I would really like to be able to pass "local chapter guidelines" this

> week if possible.  Venkatesh, I think the ball is in your court to
> turn these into something useful?

I have prepared the draft guideines for "OSGeo Interest Group", "OSGeo
Chapter" and "OSGeo Branch" and attached below. There is a strong
interest for "Local Chapters" and I hope that the guide lines can be
approved by the board ASAP.

Should we send the draft to the OSGeo Discuss List too.
Once approved, I think it is better to put the guidelines of the OSGeo
main web-site kind regards

Venka

------------------------------Draft-------------------------------------
-------
OSGeo Guidelines for "OSGeo Interest Group", "OSGeo Chapter" and "OSGeo
Branch"

Open Source software has come to be a proven environment for building
stronger software through open global collaboration. The Open Source
Geospatial Foundation, hereafter referred to as OSGeo, has been created
support and build the highest-quality geospatial software. The OSGeo's
goal is to promote the use OSGeo projects globally by fostering strong
localized OSGeo partnership and presence in different geographic and
linguistic domains. Apart from being a strong local voice for the OSGeo,
some of the major tasks whereby localized OSGeo partnership and presence
could enrich and enhance global geospatial initiatives would be;

*Software Internationalization and Localization *Development of
prototype applications to demonstrate Open Source geospatial
capabilities to local and regional audiences *Software Packaging and
Customization for local and regional needs *Training, Support and
Development of e-Learning Contents in local languages *Support Open
standards and Open access to geospatial data in region *Promoting OSGeo
and enhancing OSGeo visibility in various forums

The above activities would complement and strengthen the efforts of
OSGeo in increasing awareness about available Open Source Geospatial
solutions and stimulating adoption in education, industry, government
and non-profit organizations in various geographic and linguistic
domains.

These guidelines do not differentiate between a geographic or linguistic
grouping and strongly encourages self-organization of localized OSGeo
partnership and presence at three levels as described below.

Level One - OSGeo Interest Group, hereafter referred to as OIG

* OIG functions in an independent framework similar to User Groups for
other Open Source Projects
* OIG does not formally represent OSGeo
* OIG can start and maintain Wiki document on the OSGeo Wiki
* OIG must provide a short introduction in English language describing
the special needs, if any, of this geographic or linguistic grouping.
* "OSGeo Chapter" is not permitted to use OSGeo Logo and other branded
resources
* OSGeo will provide necessary infrastructure to promote communication
and visibility of OSGeo Local Chapter. The infrastructure will include
hosting of wiki pages pertaining to the OIG
* OIG must start a maintain member list on the Wiki
* OIG must develop "Directory Listing" of companies, people,
universities and government departments involved with or using OSGEO
projects
* OIG must strive at networking with organizations to enlist
participation and support for OSGeo
* OIG must support OSGEO projects at large
* OSGeo reserves the right to terminate its relation with an OIG if
OSGeo has reasons to believe that the activities of the OIG are contrary
or detrimental to the Mission and Objectives of OSGeo

Level Two: "OSGeo Chapter"

*  "OSGeo Chapter"Official represents OSGeo and is formally recognized
as OSGeo Project
*  "OSGeo Chapter" Representative must make an official "expression of
intent"
to OSGeo Membership and OSGeo Board
* "OSGeo Chapter" must prepare a draft proposal and start a motion with
the OSGeo Board seeking approval as "OSGeo Chapter"
* "OSGeo Chapter" must elect an official representative to liaise with
the OSGeo Board. The official representative of the "OSGeo Chapter" will
automatically be member of OSGeo.
* "OSGeo Chapter" must hold regular meetings and provide annual report
of activities to OSGeo membership and OSGeo Board
* "OSGeo Chapter" will not entail any financial commitment from or
on-behalf of OSGeo. OSGeo will also not provide any budget assistance to
the "OSGeo Chapter"
* "OSGeo Chapter" is permitted to use OSGeo Logo and other branded
resources for promoting the Mission and Objectives of OSGeo
* OSGeo will provide necessary infrastructure to promote communication
and visibility of "OSGeo Chapter". The infrastructure will include
mailing list, hosting of wiki pages, domain service for "OSGeo Chapter".
* "OSGeo Chapter"must develop and maintain "Directory Listing" of
companies, people, universities and organizations involved with or using
OSGEO projects
* "OSGeo Chapter" must strive at networking with organizations to enlist
participation and support for OSGeo
* "OSGeo Chapter" must support OSGEO projects at large
* OSGeo reserves the right to terminate its relation with an "OSGeo
Chapter" if OSGeo has reasons to believe that the activities of the
"OSGeo Chapter" are contrary or detrimental to the Mission and
Objectives of OSGeo

Level Two: OSGeo Branch

*  Official represents OSGeo and formally recognized as an independent
OSGeo entity
*  "OSGeo Chapter" is entitled to qualify as a OSGeo Branch after not
less than one year of existence as an official "OSGeo Chapter".
* "OSGeo Chapter" representative must make an official "expression of
intent" to the OSGeo Mebdership and OSGeo Board to function as "OSGeo
Branch"
* "OSGeo Branch" must elect its own Board Members and Officers
* "OSGeo Branch" must be a registered not-for-profit organization
* "OSGeo Branch"hold regular meetings and provide annual report of
activities to OSGeo membership and OSGeo Board
* "OSGeo Branch" must not entail any financial commitment from or
on-behalf of OSGeo.
* OSGeo may allot budget assistance to the "OSGeo Branch"
* "OSGeo Branch" is permitted to use OSGeo Logo and other branded
resources for promoting the Mission and Objectives of OSGeo
* OSGeo will provide necessary infrastructure to promote communication
and visibility of OSGeo Branch. The infrastructure will include mailing
list, hosting of wiki pages, domain service for OSGeo Branch.
* "OSGeo Branch" must develop and share "Directory Listing"of companies,
people, universities and organizations involved with or using OSGEO
projects
* "OSGeo Branch" must strive towards networking with organizations to
enlist participation and support for OSGeo
* "OSGeo Branch" must support OSGEO projects at large
* OSGeo reserves the right to terminate its relation with an "OSGeo
Branch" if OSGeo has reasons to believe that the activities of the
"OSGeo Branch" are contrary or detrimental to the Mission and Objectives
of OSGeo