[OSGeo-Board] Some whining from the outside

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Fri Aug 11 15:08:27 PDT 2006

Michael,
I share many of these same concerns and have also heard, privately,
through other non-members that they are concerned as well while
learning what OSGeo is all about.  I'm sure you all feel the pressure
already about these things!  I feel it too, hence the prototype site
to try to revive some of the latent enthusiasm.

I know that many non-profit organisations and boards struggle with
how to feel/show forward motion.  I also know that several of you
haven't been on a board like this before.  Perhaps there are some
best practices or coaching you can get from others who have been
involved before to help direct you.  I think you'll find some clear
strategies for dealing with some of your struggles.  I can't say I
know of another board that is as involved as ours is in day-to-day
affairs and that has weekly meetings.

Seems to me that the two key areas where there are struggles are
related to:

1) Communication - a lot of Michael's questions are about 'status
of...' which is all just communication.  Rather than fall into the
non-profit burden/guilt motivation trap, you need to look at how you
can delegate those tasks.  Until you've delegated it, everyone
(including you) will expect it to magically come from you as a group,
or from the president, secretary, etc.  Similarly, you need to be fed
with communications from the projects so you can know where things
are at.  I believe that was the idea of the monthly progress
reports.  It's all tied together...

2) Commitment - a budget was drafted, priorities noted and now is
when the rubber must meet the road.  I firmly believe more volunteers
are ready to get involved but they won't enlist until: communication
increases, there is a clear vision for the organisation, a useful CMS
is available to pour content into, etc. etc.  It's all tied
together.  To make OSGeo palatable to volunteers and sponsors we need
to see your commitment to carrying forward the growth of the
organisation by enabling others.  Part of this comes down to putting
cash against the approved budgeted items and delegating to others to
make it happen.  The rest of it comes down to seeing that there is a
vision for wanting to grow and move forward and checking yourself
against it regularly.

I'm sure this all acutely aware to you, but in case it wasn't, I just
wanted to echo Michael's concerns from a slightly different perspective.

Hope it helps,
Tyler