Budget projections

raghavan raghavan at media.osaka-cu.ac.jp
Fri Aug 18 21:18:19 PDT 2006

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> I'm inclined to agree that "foundation grants" are potentially going
> to be a bigger chunk of income then I might have originally
> anticipated.
>
> Also, there are some opportunities (such as some of the military
> work) that will need to be cast as development contracts that may add
> quite a bit to the overall budget throughput.
>
> One thing I'd ideally like to see is for local chapters in developing
>  regions to try and organize some developers for doing work on a
> contract basis.  So for instance, if we had able and organized
> developers in India, Brazil, China or Vietnam who could take on
> development projects it could be quite helpful.  This might include
> work on "binary distributions", adding new features, etc.

I feel that there is a large pool talent in the Local Chapters
that is waiting to be tapped. We have to get over cultural and
language barriers to nurture these talents for the benefit of
the OSGeo communities.

I would like see some some budget item for Education activities.
OSGeo Scholarship to support student research projects. The
FreeGIS book project could also get help from professional
designers to develop high-quality text books

Kind regards

Venka