[Fwd: Re: [OSGeo-Board] OSGeo China & India]

Michael P. Gerlek mpg at lizardtech.com
Mon Aug 21 08:19:21 PDT 2006

Professor Chen:

Thank you for the kind invitation.

By way of introduction, I am the manager of the engineering department for LizardTech; we produce technology for compression and management of geographic image data, using MrSID and JPEG 2000.  I'm also involved in some OGC-related standards actitivies having to do with JPEG 2000.  I am one of the founding members of OSGeo and I serve as the Vice President in charge of the Promotion and Visibility Committee ("VisCom").

I can certainly give a speech; if you have a specific topic in mind, just let me know.  (I am assuming of course you will be providing a translator as needed.)  And of course, if there is any other way I can help out getting the new chapter started, I will be happy to help.

My understanding is that OSGeo China will be covering my expenses, is that correct?  Shall I make my own travel arrangments, or will you be handling that for me?  (I'm asking because, if possible, I would like bring my wife with me (at my own expense) and spend a few days visiting Beijing.)

Thanks again, I am looking forward to this --

-mpg