so quiet...

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Mon Dec 4 18:45:20 PST 2006

dear all,

It's been so quiet, that I had to check the mail archives to be sure I
hadn't been bounced off this list or the discuss list... ;)

Is no news good news? Is this an inevitable seasonal lull?
(At < 8 hours daily daylight at 51N, waking up is hard to do...)

I get the sense that most of core OSGeo activity is being channeled
through VisCom these days. I appreciated mpg's last status update of
VisCom activity to the discuss list. This is all good, but it does
kind of bypass the more hackerly contingent, people used to 'value'
being more quantifiable in project activity, download rates etc -
involvement in a project combining "scratching an itch" and public
reputation and the scope for more interesting future projects...

Tyler, I hope you've enjoyed your first month in your position as ED.
I'd love to see a braindump from you about how you feel it's going,
where you could use support, where you see opportunities for growth
and collaboration within OSGeo that could be more actively pursued,
where you see things that really ought to be fixed or re-examined.

Something else I would be interested in seeing is milestones - again,
that's hard to separate out from the quantifiable - the stuff we can
get now like website traffic, users and user activity on the wiki;
the stuff we can get in the nearish future like card-carrying members,
sponsorship interest and influx etc. But it would be good to have some
more structured way of thinking about the future, promises to hold
ourselves (as Board members or as the membership in general) to.

best wishes,

jo