[OSGeo-Board] About Sponsorship for local OSGeo Chapters

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
Wed Dec 13 10:56:16 PST 2006

Hello,
I am answering to the board only as I am not fully clear on all points and
believe that some points might need further discussion.

On Wed, December 13, 2006 07:24, venka.osgeo wrote:
> Dear Board and Tyler,
>
> The Japan OSGeo Chapter has received the inquiry from Ouyo-Gijutsu KK (
> Applied Technology Corp.) about wanting to be a sponsor of OSGeo.org
> or Osgeo-Japan and requested for clarification on the following matters.
>
> The company representive has asked about the present status of sponsors
> and requested to know why sponsor names (Autodesk?)are not
> appearing on the OSGeo Web site. Apart from that their other basic
> quaetions about the sponsorship for their budgeting purpose are follows;
>
> 1  Will OSGeo Japan Chapter call for Japan domestic sponsor separately
> as a part of OSGeo.org sponsorship ?
> 2  Is the local sponsorship scheme same as OSGeo.org sponsorship ?

I guess so, unless the Japan Local Chapter decides to work out another one
(which could make sense if you need to take cultural differences into
account).

> 3  When OSGeo sponsor page will be available on the web site ?

As soon as the first Sponsor is there (so "right now" as Autodesk has been
a sponsor for quite some time. Why is Adesk not there yet? Possibley for
never voiced political reasons to not give people the imression that Adesk
has taken over. Nonetheless we must do this asap, thanks for the reminder
Venka.). Could we forward this to WebCom and make sure that with the new
site we immediately have the sponsor page up and running? (Sorry if  that
has been schedules already and I am just too slow to notice).

> 4  Will OSGeo sponsors be invited to next FOSS4G Conference ?

There is a passage stating sponsors get a unique chance to appear as
sponsor at the highest level. I do not think that sponsoring inlcudes an
invitation but from a certain level upwards this could make sense.

> 5 Can the sponsor specify the purpose for which the sponsorship
> fee can be used?

Yes, then it would not be the "Foundation-" but the "Project Sponsorship
program".

> Advice for the board and Tyler and support for local sponsors is
> highly appreciated.

The same advice from Germany, I have proposed this before. We (FOSSGIS
converence team) are currently preparing to transfer ~€7T earmarked for
OSGeo to the GAV (GERMAN GRASS Verein) who will commission that money.
This makes all sene so that money does not have to be tranferred
internationally which adds considerable amounts of fees.

Best regards,
Arnulf.

> Additional information that the proposed sponsors have provided is
> as below
>
>> They want to modify / source code of MapGuide Open Source to support
>> PNG8
>> compressed image data as well as current PNG24 for the mobile devices as
>> MGOS client. They have already proposed their idea to mobile
>> telecommunication provider and their customer welcomed. Thus, they want
>> start the development and make an appeal their activities and
>> contribution
>> to FOSS4G to public to get more business and make their customer
>> confident.
>
> I mark CC to Mr. Mori Toru (Japan OSGeo Chapter Representative) and Mr.
> Noda (Board Member of Japan OSGeo Chapter Representative) for their
> information.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Venka

Arnulf Christl