Upcoming Press Release for Mapbuilder GML Viewer and Mapbuilder Release 1.5rc1

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Dec 20 10:52:06 PST 2006

Tyler Mitchell wrote:

> On 20-Dec-06, at 10:31 AM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
>
>> Tyler Mitchell wrote:
>>> Hi Cameron,
>>> I think both items are certainly newsworthy.  We haven't been doing
>>> regular press releases for these specific software update releases,
>>> perhaps we should be.  What do others think?  It would probably
>>> equate to a couple press releases per month.
>>> When you are ready Cameron, send your prepared press release to
>>> news_item at osgeo.org as per
>>> https://www.osgeo.org/content/news/submit_news.html
>>
>> Tyler,
>>
>> It is my opinion that we should consider press releases for major
>> releases
>> of our software projects, but we don't want to be a press release factory
>> that gets ignored.
>
> I think so too.  Are you currently flashing the news_item release out to
> the announce list?  That could help fill the need for getting more
> frequent communications out to those who want them, versus doing the
> full press release process which takes a fair bit of time to do properly.

Tyler,

In theory all announcements are supposed to go in the news_archive.html
listing, the announce email list and the collabnet announcement do-hickey
on the front page.  In practice "minor" announcements like point releases of
software have only gone into the announcement do-hickey, while more major
announcements go to all three places.

Jo and I have been making a value judgement on what we think qualifies for
minor or major news items.

Actual press releases are handled separately by VisCom.