[Fwd: Re: OSGeo-Board Board list up]

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
Mon Feb 13 02:59:13 PST 2006

[...]
>> In terms of what we have verses what others already have, there are a
>> lot of invisibles. First is that Collabnet is running the site. This
>> means quality up time, high bandwidth, and support. Being a customer
>> of Collabnet for the past 5 years (and still a customer on two of
>> their sites), this has saved me a lot of time and money.

Hi all,
please, please(!) do not misunderstand me or interpret my agitated
melancholia as ungratefulness. :-)

But the performance of the CollabNet site is not that hot. Maybe its due
to us being connected slow from here (Germany being fairly barbarian
regarding internet connectivity).

> Would the operation include the demo services that we have been
> discussing, or would they need to be set up elsewehre? I have been
> talking with Gary about this. It would need to be really fast and high
> bandwidth. We intend this to be the interactive business card of the OSGeo. It
> must be alive.

 > Ah, servers to run MapServer  and the lot. No, the current contract
 > does not include other servers. We will be able to host the web-ables
 > like javascript, Applets, and such like a normal web site. We have
 > posted 3rd party stuff like Wiki and might also host a few servers
 > for clients, including talk of a build farm - but as I said, Autodesk
 > has not purchased anything beyond the standard server and my time as
 > Community Manager.

Check out the map service below (its a UMN MapServer with 300GB
orthophotos). Its hot. I think it may be because the City of Nuremberg
has been conneted by @semantics (I learned this by pure chance when I
was so fortunate to have breakfast with Dirk Wilhelm van Gulik at last
years OSGIS 05 conference in Minneapolis). Don't care for the Mapbender
frame aroud it, it comes form an old box at our place. But look at the
speed of the aerial photgraphy inside once you are down to a scale of
1:5000 or less.

http://wms1.ccgis.de/mapbender2/frames/login.php?name=mb&password=mb&mb_user_myGui=mb_perf_mon

 > As far as I know, Autodesk at a minimum is supplying that to MapGuide
 > - so feel free to try that route. Autodesk has a big server farm with
 > lots of bandwidth. So, either get it from Autodesk directly or by
 > getting Autodesk to pay for it.
 >
 > This might also be a way for those coming from the outside to
 > repurpose their computers to run the software.

Gary,
he have already talked about this. Any news from that front?

We (the Mapbender project) have been in contact with several people
including a large university in the US (im gonna check who that was) who
were farily loud about boasting what great resources they have running
idle. I am positive that the OSGeo will not turn back to universities in
order to appear professional and all that - but if they have idle
bandwidth and processors - he was talking about 64 dual processor boxes
!!!!! (add exclamation marks at will here). Shouldn't we then just take
it? The German DLR (German Aerospace Center, http://www.dlr.de/) also
offered to host stuff on their boxes, they are pretty professional and
all that too.

>> Let me reiterated the value, it is the Foundation itself and how we
>> work together with members and member projects. The Collabnet tool is
>> the glue. It provides the overall structure to easily grow the
>> community and service it with the right tools. Wiki or other tools,
>> not withstanding, what is critical is building and maintaining the
>> code. We can hook in a Wiki, so it is a matter of getting the board
>> to do it.
>
> I don't get this. My bad english. So you mean you can glue in the
> Wiki if
> the board wants it?

Please vote for the Mediawiki being included into our CollabNet site:
Arnulf +1

I am not glued to it being a Mediawiki - but I strongly sense that we
need a Wiki asap. (Shit - I just read Brian chime in with an
alternative. I am just going to ignore it for the time being...).

>> The look and feel of the site is has a few tricks in it and new
>> features coming. But for now we have the email lists, forums,
>> subversions, document management, web space, and the error tracking.
>> All of this is integrated to provide project by project isolation and
>> site search capabilities.

OK, I am very happy with whats there already and will delve into it as
much as time permits. I am positive that we can migrate Mapbender into
the OSGeo infrastructure within three weeks starting now. Only condition
is that we can tag our Wiki along.

> OK, then shall we start dump our stuff into SVN? How would this
> work? We
> currently have 7 people who actively commit code on a daily basis. How
> shall we work out the switch, when do you think that everything is
> running
> smoothly enough to get us in? How would the developers get a login
> etc. Is
> there something to read?

Daniel said:
First and foremost is the legal stuff. The board has not agreed on a
terms of use and click through. The second thing would be the
contributors agreement. We really should keep things locked down, but
I am willing to let people in 'now' as long as we document it.

So, anyone that will be in a project should send me the following in
an email:

ID to use
Name
address
email

That way we can contact them to get the proper docs once we decide
what it is going to be.
As for Subversion, once the project is online for you, the help is
pretty clean. There is also an online and PDF  subversion book
available at:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

Arnulf says:
I will talk our developers into moving asap, it will hurt them most
anyways.

End of message from Arnulf, rest is messy to read because the indents >
are missing.

Best regards,
Arnulf.

>> Remember that I have been using this stuff for five plus years. I
>> have to say that it is far better in quality that the other sites,
>> and there are differences on both sides of the fence but I prefer
>> this setup and I am not alone. Even today I just got another project
>> from someone that jumped ship from SourceForge.
>
> I am not going to miss SF and the image of CollabNet is sure way
> better.
> But we don't have those 5 years of experience yet. :-)

Feel free to lean on me :o) My job is to make the community grow by
seeding the membership with great leaders like yourself with the
skills to help others.

I am going to try to set up training sessions with our expert
trainers. This has been happening so fast that I just need to start
drinking more coffee and making phone calls.