OSGeo-Board WIki Users update

Gary Lang gary.lang at autodesk.com
Mon Feb 13 12:06:22 PST 2006

Who is "Jive"?

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Warmerdam [mailto:fwarmerdam at gmail.com] On Behalf Of Frank
Warmerdam (External)
Sent: Monday, February 13, 2006 6:30 AM
To: board at board.osgeo.org
Subject: Re: OSGeo-Board WIki Users update

Arnulf Christl wrote:
> Hi,
> could you please update your contact settings in the Wiki. The easiest

> way to do that is link to an existing page, Markus just did that:
> http://www.fossgis.de/osgeo/index.php/User:Neteler
>
> You find the current user list here:
> http://www.fossgis.de/osgeo/index.php/Special:Listusers

Arnulf,

I have add a link for both of my users. :-)

> I would suggest ot close the self-creating option for accounts once
> the board members are all in (Gary, we still miss you). That way we
> will protect it from unsolicited editing. I do not see that the use of

> the Wiki is going to be as broad as I initially suspected. Lets keep
> it small and internal for the time being and until we have figured out

> whether we want the Wiki or rather stick to CVS/SVN and static
website.

I still see the wiki as a key place to draft and collaberate on document
creation.  But I imagine "finalized" documents being moved into SVN as
part of the process of making them official.

I also would prefer to not stop the self-creating option for accounts on
the wiki, since I want any member or anyone interested for that matter
to create suggests of various kinds in the wiki.   It is very important
(IMHO) that we provide lots of avenues for all members, and non-members
to participate in, and contribute to development of policy and content
of various kinds.

While I am sure creation of whole websites in the wiki can and does work
quite well for some projects, I don't think we are going to go there.
SVN still makes updates to the "official web site" easy enough for those
authorized members of the web committee.   But I really would like to
differentiate between the free-wheeling anarchy of the wiki, and the
more official primary web site.  Having the wiki appear under
www.fossgis.de/osgeo helps emphasise the distinction though I hope at
some point (when we decide on a long term wiki technology) it will
appear at wiki.osgeo.org.

warmerdam at pobox.com